MENTAL HEALTH & ADDICTIONS COUNSELLOR
The Mustard Seed is a results-driven, progressive Christian not-for-profit organization that builds community, grows hope and supports change. Following the example of Jesus, our mission is to deliver basic services, housing and employment programs to those in need and to partner with the community to address the root causes of poverty.
Reporting to the Health and Wellness Manger, the Mental Health & Addictions Counsellor is a member of a multidisciplinary team that provides housing and facilitates support services for high-acuity persons experiencing multiple barriers, which result in chronic homelessness and/or increased utilization of emergency health services. The Mental Health & Addictions Counsellor is responsible for assessing each client’s mental health and addictions needs, and develops and implements a personal care plan to assist the client in managing the symptoms of their illness.
- Passionate about supporting those experiencing poverty and/or homelessness with a desire to be involved in ending homelessness in Alberta;
- Able to foster change by advocating for the marginalized;
- Team oriented and eager to foster collaboration and synergy with others;
- A self-starter and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assessment of clients’ mental health needs, followed by referrals to receive diagnosis and treatment;
- Provides direct client care in relation to addictions issues;
- Helps facilitate the clients’ optimized utilization of all available community supports;
- Provides ongoing assessment and counseling support of clients;
- Documents client interactions, client referrals and client progress on the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS);
- Facilitates emergency interventions, as needed;
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the Mustard Seed and with external agencies;
- Builds a comprehensive library & knowledge-base on community resources related to addictions;
- Tracks statistics and prepares reports, as required;
- Assists the Health and Wellness Manager with new initiatives or projects as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Master Degree in Psychology, Social Work, or related field;
- Certificate in Addictions Counseling;
- Minimum two years’ experience working in Mental Health;
- Experience working with those suffering from addictions and experiencing homelessness is a definite asset;
- Proven record of mental health assessment, counseling, and ability to implement a plan of care;
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with clients; members of the multidisciplinary team, and community agencies;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Calgary’s community (mental) health and addiction resources, and adept in navigating those systems;
- Knowledge of FOIP and ability to observe confidentiality standards;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team & accomplish goals;
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs); experience with Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) an asset;
- Good organizational, time management skills and advocacy skills;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- This is a permanent position, based in downtown Calgary.
- Start date is March 22, 2013.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith.
- Valid Driver’s License (Class 5).
- Access to reliable vehicle.
- Employment Security Check and clean driver’s abstract are required.
Closing Date: March 10, 2013
Please forward cover letter and resume to HR@theseed.ca indicating the position title in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend and/or close job advertisements prior to the advertised closing date. No phone calls please.