Dogwood Initiative is an innovative Victoria, B.C., based non-profit organization, which helps British Columbians reclaim decision-making power over their air, land and water.
Dogwood Initiative is looking for a Communications Director to manage a small team and play a key leadership role in our work. We work with more than 100,000 supporters, as well as First Nations, businesses and communities, to leverage political victories and find common sense solutions to some of B.C.’s most pressing problems.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with staff and volunteers, the Communications Director will develop Dogwood Initiative’s communications strategy and oversee, measure and evaluate all communications organization-wide.
• Media Relations: Manage media database and build relationships with key journalists. Identify stories, develop key messages, write media releases and op-eds and act as spokesperson in radio, television and print interviews.
• Communications planning: Develop and implement strategic communications plans, both annually and at a program- and project-specific level.
• Writing/Editing: Maintain consistent tone, style and quality across all external communications, including op-eds, blogs, website content, supporter communications, annual report, social media and printed campaign materials.
• Supporter communications: Effectively manage communications with 100,000 supporters to continue growing support base, increase engagement and elicit financial support.
• Polling: Design and commission polling on key campaign issues.
• Social media: Manage organization’s social media presence and identify opportunities to increase engagement.
• Management: Conduct hiring and performance evaluations, continually maximize performance of communications team, set and manage work plans and act as resource for communications staff.
• A minimum of 2-3 years related experience.
• A demonstrated passion for citizen engagement and holding governments accountable.
• Previous experience in a data-driven campaign setting (political or non-profit).
• Experience mobilizing the public and working with the media.
• Excellent writing, editing and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated expertise in strategic communications.
• Ability to manage complex projects.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage a small team.
• Experience in creative thinking/ problem solving and strategic planning.
• Strong technological aptitudes and proficiencies are essential.
• Previous experience using a CRM, such as Salesforce, posting to websites, managing an organization’s social media presence and using design programs are considerable assets but not essential.
• Desire and ability to make a minimum 2-year commitment.
Start Date: November 1, 2013