Yorktown Shelter for Women
Job Title: Payroll/Office Administrator
Contract: Permanent Full Time
Start Date: October 2013
Yorktown Family Services uniquely combines a women’s shelter and a children’s mental health centre to strengthen and support children, youth, individuals and families to make positive change.
Yorktown Shelter for Women provides a safe, supportive environment for women and children living in abusive relationships. Yorktown Shelter for Women operates a 30 bed shelter for abused women and children and provides related community programs, namely the Transitional Housing and Support Program and the Women and Communities Against Violence (WACAV) Program, which assists women fleeing abuse who remain in the community and the Here to Help program which is a support group program for children witnessing violence and their mothers.
Yorktown Shelter for Women provides emergency shelter and crisis support for women and children fleeing abuse. We offer counselling, referrals, a 24-hour crisis line, court escort, advocacy and assistance with housing, welfare, immigration, medical and legal services, children’s programs, early intervention for child witnesses of woman abuse, transitional support for women living in the community as well as those leaving the shelter.
Yorktown Shelter for Women is currently seeking a Payroll/Office Administrator to join our dynamic team of professionals to establish and support payroll and the overall administration of the agency.
Core Payroll Responsibilities
- Process and transmit bi-weekly unionized and non-unionized salary and hourly payroll including preparation and balancing of allocation spreadsheets for ACCPAC journal entries
- Generate relevant payroll reports for approval, balancing, auditing and reporting requirements
- Calculate, balance and submit as required payroll remittance cheque requisitions accurately and promptly i.e. union dues, WSIB, RRSP, garnishee, United Way donations, etc.
- Calculate and process wage increases in accordance with Collective Agreement and/or Executive Director’s authorization.
- Prepare standard reports and queries, and conduct appropriate verification to ensure the data integrity of the tracked information.
- Investigate and advise Supervisor appropriately regarding errors and required remedial action. Take corrective action.
- Calculate and balance quarterly: taxable benefits, LTD premiums, Proxy Pay Equity and assist with T4 reconciliation and balancing.
- Track Collective Agreement issues and concerns as they arise.
- Participate on Management Bargaining Team including but not limited to assisting with the development of Management proposals and potentially participating in negotiations on the Management Bargaining Committee.
- Organize, maintain and safeguard confidential records and files
- Provide backup payroll support to Yorktown Child and Family Centre
- Establish efficient and effective paper and electronic filing system
Core Office Administration Responsibilities
- Schedule staff and book additional shifts in accordance with Collective Agreement
- Track attendance: vacation, sick, in lieu, float days etc.
- Prepare and distribute vacation accrual worksheets and seniority lists
- Track staff development and training for Quality Improvement Report
- Ensure accurate tracking mechanism is in place for anniversary dates and performance evaluation due dates
- Prepare employment verification letters for staff and management
- Prepare offer letters for new hires
- Support volunteer recruitment including orientation, interviewing, screening, reference and police checks, tracking and reporting volunteer hours worked etc.
- Setup standard templates and HR forms and manage administration manual to meet accreditation standards
- Support data collection and compilation for quarterly Ministry and other Funder reports and Annual Report
- Support collection of data for funding proposals
- Assist in the planning, coordination and activities of agency events; Annual General Meeting, Silver Linings, toy and donation drives etc.
- Support fundraising and development activities for Yorktown Family Services
- Provide administrative support to users of the Case Management System
- Provide back up support for the House Maintenance Coordinator, such as, cheque requisitions, office supply orders, phone system maintenance, server tapes, petty cash fund and client personal needs allowance etc.
- Set-up and monitor courier/mail system
- Suggest and create solutions in the work environment where improvements, especially automation, can increase efficiency (e.g. electronic client charts, shift scheduling for staff)
- Support front desk/telephone/door coverage when needed
- Respond to emergency situations in accordance to established procedures and guidelines
- Other duties as required
Completion of post-secondary diploma/degree (Payroll and/or Office Administration)
- Training and minimum two years’ experience with ADP pay@work and payroll administration
- A minimum of three years’ experience in office administration supporting senior management
- Experience working in a unionized environment strongly preferred
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization will be considered an asset
- Technical skills: MS Suite: Excel, Word, Publisher and Outlook at an Intermediate level
- Familiar with collective agreements, able to interpret agreements
- Must be a team player willing to continuously and proactively collaborate, share, and seek information and guidance
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Proven ability to consistently exercise sound judgement
- Possess outstanding oral and written communication skills
- The highest degree of integrity dealing with extremely confidential information
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple, concurrent requests
- Ability to work productively both independently and as a team member
- Respectful, sensitive, empathetic, collaborative
- Cross-cultural awareness
Yorktown Shelter for Women is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or by fax to 416-394-2689 by October 18, 2013. Please quote “Payroll/Office Administrator” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.