Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services, food, clothing and housing, support services (including employment, health and wellness, and corrections chaplaincy), and housing services, including tenant support and low income housing, to those in need.
The Mustard Seed helps improve the lives of adult Albertans experiencing poverty by building community, growing hope and supporting change. Through enhanced visibility, relationship building, and community outreach, Street Level Services strives to make the Centre Street Campus of Change a safe and welcoming environment for guests, donors and volunteers. Reporting to The Street Level Team Lead, The Street Level / Outreach Support Worker will provide an identifiable and visible presence within the Campus, and while in the community on outreach, that optimizes safety, builds relationships, and values people.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervising The 102 Building access, the receiving of donations, and the coordinating and loading of the afternoon shuttle bus service to the Foothills Campus;
- Monitoring guest activities within and around the Centre Street Campus buildings, providing support and crisis intervention as required;
- Providing enhanced visible support throughout the Campus, perceiving and responding to opportunities that will optimize safety, and build community;
- Working with indigent people in the community as part of the Outreach Team;
- Greeting and ensuring donors are treated with excellence and appreciation;
- Attending meetings and training as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta;
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma preferred;
- Front line experience in the Social Services field considered an asset;
- Customer service and security experience;
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population;
- Good relationship building and communication skills;
- Some knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Working knowledge of MS Office computer applications;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry.
- This position is part of a rotational work week schedule, running 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Thursday – Saturday, plus alternating Wednesdays.
- This position will require working inside and outside in various climates, and will involve moderate levels of physical effort, including but not limited to, standing for long periods, walking, climbing stairs, bending, lifting, and pushing donation carts.
- This position requires moderate amounts of mental effort, including but not limited to, adapting to an often fast-paced environment, operating a computer, using two-way radio communications, perceiving and quickly responding to crises within and around the Campus of Change and while in the community with the Outreach Team.
- Employment Security Check is required.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
Start date: Immediate
Review of applications begins on October 23, 2013; however, the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
Please forward cover letter and resume to HR@theseed.ca indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, partial gym membership subsidy, and flex days.
The Mustard Seed
102 11 Ave SE
Calgary, AB, T2G 0X5