The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice for Canadian municipal government. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal governments.
Department: FCM International
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Classification: Level 2
Duration: 1-year contract beginning in December 2013
Languages: Fluent in English and French, intermediate in Spanish
Since 1987, FCM has been working in partnership with the Government of Canada through CIDA to share Canadian municipal expertise with developing countries in order to strengthen local governance, service delivery, and international municipal relations. FCM’s international department, FCM International, is responsible for managing the organization’s externally-funded international programs and coordinating its international relations.
The five-year (2010-15) Municipal Partners for Economic Development (MPED) program focuses on supporting sustainable and equitable economic development in selected developing countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas. Its specific purpose is to support local governments and local government associations (LGAs) in Vietnam, Cambodia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Tanzania, Nicaragua and Bolivia to enable them to provide more effective services that advance sustainable and equitable local economic development. MPED also supports the engagement of program partners in regional knowledge sharing, and in global policy development and program coordination. The crosscutting themes of the program are environmental sustainability and equality between women and men.
The Program Assistant provides administrative, logistical and organizational support for FCMI, and more specifically for programs in assigned region(s). Acts as the central point of contact for enquiries for information and services related to the international programs. May also provide support for management functions.
- Provides administrative and general support for the program including: typing, formatting and proofreading correspondence, sometimes in different languages; prepares material for external mail outs, including letters and packages for Canada Post and courier delivery
- Coordinates all administrative logistics for program activities including: meetings, workshops, Canadian missions, international missions and special activities abroad and in Canada
- Coordinates travel arrangements for staff and volunteer participants; advises partners, volunteers, and consultants on FCM and Treasury Board travel policy and procedures
- Liaises with travel service providers, insurance providers, field office staff, embassies, international partners, and mission participants for coordination of logistics and exchange of information
- Provides financial support for the programs in the form of receiving, processing (code, validate, verify) and submitting invoices, expense claims and cheque requisitions to the Finance Department; tracks expenditures against budget; collects information and provides input to the annual budget planning
- Establishes and maintains electronic and hard copy databases and filing systems, ensuring the reporting and update of all relevant Mission and program information (e.g., monitoring and tracking of results, contact information, mission travel logistics)
- Participates in FCMI taskforces/working groups to provide feedback and regular updates on administrative issues
- Supports the capacity development of partners and field staff in matters related to administration, logistics, policy interpretation, and implementation of administrative systems and tools
- Updates assigned program area of the International section of the FCM website
- Participates in team meetings and retreats to contribute to assigned program coordination, efficiency and effectiveness
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in an administrative, office support or other relevant discipline
- 2 years’ experience in an administrative role or equivalent related education/experience
- Strong knowledge of business support processes and tools, computer business applications (Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong organization and communications skills, and a professional attitude in order to coordinate a variety of program variables, stakeholders and senior level contacts
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines/turnaround times
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience working in international programs or overseas is an asset
- Travel may be required 1-2 times per year
- Fluency in English and French are required. Intermediate to advanced Spanish language skills also required.