Director of Human Resources
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org
Currently, we are seeking a strategic and result oriented leader to serve as Director of Human Resources. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Human Resources is responsible to provide leadership in the development and execution of HR strategies and services that would enhance Bissell Centre's ability to attract, retain, and advance its human capital to achieve it strategic goals and objectives. This position will recommend, develop, and deliver HR initiatives, programs and processes in the areas of recruitment and selection, onboarding, policy development, human resources information management, compensation and benefits, employee relations, organizational and employee development, retention and engagement as well as performance management. The position will also manage the day-to-day operations of the HR Office.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
Human Resources Strategy and Planning
- Regularly scan and assess human resource issues, trends, gaps, and opportunities that could impact the organization’s operation.
- Establish as well as implement HR strategic and operational plan that supports the achievement of Bissell Centre’s broader strategic and operational goals.
- Work with Lead and Management Teams to create and maintain an inclusive work environment that demonstrates accountability for cultural competence and diversity.
- Develop annual staffing budget for Lead Team review.
- Develop and provide human resources cost analyses and recommendations to Lead Team, managers and designated personnel, as needed.
Reporting and Records Management
- Ensure the accuracy, confidentiality and safekeeping of personnel documents and records.
- Ensure appropriate monthly HR reports that would improve management decision making such as attendance and turnover reports, overtime accumulation and usage reports, health and safety reports are properly coordinated and provided to managers.
- Ensure the accurate and timely submission of legislated records and report.
Recruitment, Selection, and On-boarding Assistance
- Assist managers in various aspects of recruitment and selection.
- Review job requisitions, post vacancies in relevant sites and manage the organization’s own posting sites.
- Organize and conduct HR orientation for new employees and ensure new employees undergo the orientation program.
- Maintain up-to-date job descriptions and skills inventory.
- Conduct exit interviews and perform analysis to identify opportunities to enhance retention.
Compensation and Benefits Management
- Conduct a biennial external analysis on Bissell Centre’s market competitiveness in salary, benefits, and other monetary provisions for employees.
- Provide recommendations to the organization’s compensation structure and benefits plan as deemed appropriate.
- Ensure proper administration of Bissell Centre’s compensation and benefits plan, organizational Health and Safety program and WCB.
- Guide managers in determining proper salary, review job offers and severance offers.
Policy and Procedure Administration and Employee Relations Management
- Develop and ensure adherence to Human Resources polices and processes that are both compliant with relevant employment legislations.
- Advice and assist managers and employees in the application of the Bissell Centre’s human resources policies and procedures.
- Guide and support managers in employee relations matter and in the preparation of relevant documentations.
- Lead the investigation and resolution of human resources related complaints.
Employee Development and Performance Management Assistance
- Work with program Directors and Managers in the establishment or enhancement of relevant and effective employee training and development programs.
- Maintain up-to-date database of employee training and performance appraisal requirements and work with managers to ensure that employee training and performance appraisals are completed in timely manner.
- Provide guidance and assistance to managers in the completion of performance evaluations and performance consults.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Degree in Human Resources Management or other related field and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior human resources management role. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- A CHRP designation or strong evidence of working towards gaining it.
- Sound working knowledge of Alberta Employment Standards, Human Rights Acts, relevant PIPA legislations, relevant common law as well as WCB and OH & S regulations.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office capability. Knowledge of HRIS and computerized payroll systems is a definite asset.
- An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, ability to think creatively, manage change and make sound decisions.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and leadership skills.
- Multi-task, attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core and knowledge of relevant community and government resources
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by Wednesday, 5 February 2014 to:
Chief Financial Officer
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.