Wood Buffalo YMCA
Has the following full-time salaried position available:
Housing Support Worker (Immigrant Housing First)
The YMCA is a charitable, mission-based organization dedicated to the development of thousands of people in spirit, mind and body. The YMCA of Wood Buffalo is seeking a motivated individual that will effectively plan, administer, and evaluate residential service delivery implementing the Housing First Philosophy program for individuals, couples and families who are chronically homeless with multiple barriers and high needs. The Housing Support Worker completes intake evaluations and documentation, assists with obtaining housing, and provides on-going case management and support to participants that are active on a defined caseload. At all times this individual will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with vulnerable populations who face housing insecurity and related challenges.
Salary: Starting at $50,000/annually
- Implement programs within YMCA guidelines and contracted performance measures.
- Conduct outreach visits to shelters and drop-in centers weekly.
- Recruit, assess, and support program participants. Work with participants closely to find appropriate market housing. Support participants in maintaining their housing which extends to home visits and providing additional supports such as transportation to appointments and the Food Bank as required.
- Provide advocacy and facilitate appropriate community service linkages, provide feedback to participants and communicate progress of the participants within the team and to the Coordinator.
- Maintain accurate and current participant and program records, files and ETO and complete monthly activity reports and stats as required.
- Establish effective community relations relevant to the program and market and promote programs to achieve programmatic targets. Network with other community providers of Housing First Services.
- Maintain good interpersonal relationships with staff, volunteers, participants and students.
- Assume complete responsibility for the entire facility operation while on assigned Manager on Duty shifts (includes emergencies, evictions, programming concerns, staff relations, etc.)
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- University Degree in Human Services or equivalent. Candidates without a diploma but who have post-secondary education and relevant and related experience will also be considered.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance and WHMIS Certification
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Certification preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, clear driver’s abstract, and access to a vehicle.
- 2 years of related work experience preferred.
- Working in a team environment with cultural groups, high needs and marginalized populations.
- Working with persons who are homeless facing barriers that may include mental health and addictions.
- Knowledge of work-safe alone practices and de-escalation techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and team skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of the Housing First model, group facilitation, individual assessment, program planning and promotion, outcome evaluation, marketing and public relations.
- Beginner knowledge in supportive counselling skills.
- Knowledge of related community, education, youth and human services resources.
- Sensitivity and demonstrated knowledge of dealing with the needs of participants from different cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows.