SHIP (Supportive Housing In Peel) is a Health Service Provider for specialized populations with numerous programs and partnerships. We are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual to fill the following position:
Youth Specialist - Weekends
Our growing organization is currently implementing a new and progressive youth and community initiative (Peel Youth Village) that will address transitional housing and community related supports and services. The program is located in Mississauga and incorporates both housing and a community centre. The housing component is for homeless youth between the ages of 16-30 and the community centre serves residents and the surrounding neighbourhood.
Reporting to the Program Manager; the incumbent is responsible for:
- Working in partnership with various community agencies to coordinate support services for youth
- Providing specialized case management and community outreach
- Ensuring a clean, safe and secure environment
- Acting as a role model and facilitate the client’s physical, emotional and intellectual growth and development
- Assisting in the implementation and monitoring of the client’s plan of residency
- Providing individual and group counselling/support to clients
- Degree or Diploma In Social Services, Social Work, Social Science, Human Services or equivalent
- College Diploma in a child and youth related field (i.e., Child and Youth Worker, Recreation Leadership and Social Work) is an asset
- Experience in working with youth and/or the homeless population
- Effective decision making skills and ability to assess a comprehensive range of variables, able to interpret, analyze and problem solve
- Ability to advocate on behalf of clients and is comfortable with the self-help role
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multi-service team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity
- ASIST training is preferred
- Must be certified in CPI, CPR and First Aid
- A valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s license and a vehicle with adequate insurance coverage are also required.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
All applicants must apply to this position through our website www.shipshey.ca . To apply to this position, click/copy and paste the following link into your browser,
SHIP is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an excellent benefits package and work environment. If you are contacted by Supportive Housing In Peel regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.